Auditions - The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Springboro Community Theatre invites you to auditions for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, with music & lyrics by William Finn, Book by Rachel Sheinkin, directed by Tim Rezash, Music and Vocal Direction by Judy Mansky, and choreography by Kara Castle.
Auditions will take place September 19 & 20, 2022 at 7pm at the Springboro Performing Arts Center, 115 Wright Station Way, Springboro, OH 45066.
Please prepare 32 bars (approx. one minute) of a song of your choice that showcases your comfortable range and abilities. An accompanist will be provided, and a Bluetooth speaker will be available as well.
You will also be asked to learn a short dance combination, so please dress comfortably. Jazz shoes or tennis shoes are recommended but not required.
The auditions will consist of cold readings and singing, as needed, following the prepared songs.
- Chip Tolentino: An athletic, social, boy scout and champion of the Twenty-Fourth Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, he returns to defend his title, but he finds puberty hitting at an inopportune moment. Also typically plays Jesus Christ.
- Logainne Schwartzandgrunenierre: Logainne is the youngest and most politically aware speller, often making comments about current political figures. She is driven by internal and external pressure, but above all by a desire to win to make her two fathers proud. She is somewhat of a neat freak, speaks with a lisp, and will be back next year.
- Leaf Coneybear: The second runner-up in his district, Leaf gets into the competition on a lark and finds everything about the bee incredibly amusing. He is home-schooled and comes from a large family of former hippies. He has severe Attention Deficit Disorder and spells words correctly while in a trance. Also typically plays Carl Dad.
- William Barfee: A Putnam County Spelling Bee finalist last year, he was eliminated because of an allergic reaction to peanuts and is back for vindication. His famous "Magic Foot" method of spelling has boosted him to spelling glory, even though he only has one working nostril and a touchy, bullying personality. He develops a crush on Olive.
- Marcy Park: A recent transfer from Virginia, Marcy placed ninth in last year's nationals. She speaks six languages, is a member of all-American hockey, a championship rugby player, plays Chopin and Mozart on multiple instruments, sleeps only three hours a night, hides in the bathroom cabinet, and is getting very tired of always winning. She is the poster child for the Over-Achieving Asian, and attends a Catholic school called "Our Lady of Intermittent Sorrows." She is also not allowed to cry.
- Olive Ostrovsky: A young newcomer to competitive spelling. Her mother is in an ashram in India, and her father is working late, as usual, but he is trying to come sometime during the bee. Having found comfort in its words and vastness, Olive made friends with her dictionary at a very young age, helping her to make it to the competition. She starts enormously shy, and shyly blossoms.
- Rona Lisa Peretti: The number-one realtor in Putnam County, a former Putnam County Spelling Bee Champion herself, and the returning moderator. She is a sweet woman who loves children, but she can be very stern when it comes to dealing with Vice Principal Panch and his feelings for her. Her interest in the competition is unflagging and drives it forward. Also typically plays Olive’s Mom.
- Douglas Panch: The Vice Principal. Frustrated with his life, he finds the drive of the young spellers alien to him. After five years' absence from the Bee, Panch returns as judge. There was an "incident" at the Twentieth Annual Bee, but he claims to be in "a better place" now, thanks to a high-fiber diet and Jungian analysis. He is infatuated with Rona Lisa Peretti, but she does not return his affections.
- Mitch Mahoney: The Official Comfort Counselor. An ex-convict, Mitch is performing his community service with the Bee, and hands out juice boxes to losing students. He has no idea how to offer comfort, but does find himself wishing he could find a way to make the kids feel better. Also typically plays Dan Dad and Olive’s Dad.