Auditions - THE WIZARD OF OZ
Springboro Community Theatre is pleased to announce auditions for the first show in our 2023-2024 season - our summer production, at North Park Amphitheater, THE WIZARD OF OZ, directed by Matt Kuntzman, with Music/Vocal Direction by Judy Mansky and Choreography by Tamar Fishbein!
Auditions: June 5-6, 2023 at 7pm
Potential Callbacks: June 7, 2023 at 7pm
Performances: August 4-6 & 11-13, 2023
NOTE: Auditions will NOT be at the Springboro Performing Arts Center. Auditions will take place at the Springboro United Church of Christ in the Fellowship Hall Mission Center (large white building next to the church). Please enter through the back door from the deck.
What to expect at auditions:
- Please prepare approximately one minute selection of a song in the style of the show that shows your character and range.
- Please be prepared to learn a short choreography piece.
- Cold readings will be done from the script.
We're off to see the wizard! Young Dorothy Gale is swept away by a tornado from her Kansas farm to the magical land of Oz. There, she encounters a host of whimsical characters: good witches, bad witches, animals that talk, scarecrows that walk, and things magical to behold. To find her way home, she must journey along the Yellow Brick Road to see the mysterious and all-powerful Wizard in Emerald City. Along the way, she makes new friends, but must also brave many dangers, including the Wicked Witch of the West, who will stop at nothing to get her hands on Dorothy’s magical ruby slippers. To make it home safely, Dorothy must learn an important lesson: there’s no place like home.
- Dorothy Gale - Range: G3-C5 (opt. E5)
- Glinda (doubles as Aunt Em) - Range: G3-C5
- Scarecrow (doubles as Hunk — a farmhand) - Range: Bb2-F#4 (opt. Ab4)
- Tinman (doubles as Hickory — a farmhand) - Range: Bb2-G4
- Lion (doubles as Zeke — a farmhand) - Range: Bb2-F4
- Emerald City Guard (doubles as Uncle Henry) - Range: Bb2-Eb4
- Wicked Witch of the West (doubles as Miss Gulch) - Non-singing
- The Wizard of Oz (doubles as Professor Chester Marvel) - Non-singing
From the Chorus:
- Three Crows — male trio
- Three Trees — female trio
- Munchkin Mayor
- Munchkin Coroner
- Munchkin Fiddler
- Three Munchkin Tots
- Three Tough Munchkin Kids
- Nikko — commander of monkeys
- Flying monkeys
- Popikins, Beauticians, Manicurists and Offstage Voices with the Orchestra
- Snowmen, Polishers and Winkies